Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Kobe Bryant's 81 point performance: The best birthday gift ever


            Today marks the 7th anniversary of Los Angeles Lakers G Kobe Bryant’s 81-point game against Toronto Raptors. I remember the game not just because it was such a remarkable game by Kobe, but that it was also my 12th birthday.
            The 2005-2006 NBA season was not a successful one for the Lakers as they lost in the first round of the Western Conference Playoffs against the Phoenix Suns in seven games. Bryant carried the Lakers during that season as he averaged an incredible 35.4 points per game, more than 20 points more than F Lamar Odom who averaged 14.8. Kobe also had 20 40 point games, four 50 point games, and one 60 point game.
            The game started as a usual Kobe game as he did everything he could to keep his team in the game as he scored 26 points in the first half but the Lakers were down 63-49. Coming out of half, Bryant was angry that his team was down 14 to a team that they could easily beat and scored 27 points in the third quarter as the Lakers finally got their first lead of the game.
            As I was sitting on the couch watching this remarkable accomplishment, my dad told me that it was time for me to go to bed because since I was still a young kid, I needed my rest. I told him that Kobe had 53 points through three quarters and I was not going to bed. He allowed me to stay up. The fourth quarter was all about Bryant as he scored 28 of the team’s 31 points with Laker Fans chanting “M-V-P, M-V-P” the whole time. What was most remarkable about the game was that he shot 28-46 from the field, which is around 61% and made 18 of 20 free throws.
            When the game ended with the Lakers winning 122-104, I was happier that it happened on my birthday than him actually scoring 81 points, which still ranks 2nd behind Wilt Chamberlain’s 100 point game.
            Seven years later and I still have the same thought: Thank you Mr. Bryant for a great birthday present.


image was used from hoopedia.nba.com

No comments:

Post a Comment