Friday, January 25, 2013

Who do I root for?


            Yesterday was the second time as an Arizona St. student that I saw them play USC. In November I flew home to watch the Devils play the Trojans in football at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and last night I saw both teams at the Wells Fargo Arena in men’s basketball. Now normally for a student the decision is easy on whom to root for but for me it’s different.
            Growing up in Southern California, my dad brought me up as a Trojan Fan. In the summer before the 2002-2003 college football season, my dad asked me if I wanted to get USC season tickets. It was the easiest decision I have ever made in my life as I was onboard right away.
            From the first game in which the Trojans beat the Auburn Tigers to my final game in the Coliseum before I left for ASU when USC embarrassed their cross-town rival, the UCLA Bruins 50-0, I have practically lived at the Coliseum and I knew I would have a tough decision ahead of me on who to root for.
            I have met some of the best USC players in the past couple of years by going to some of their practices. Some of the players include LB Clay Matthews, RB Reggie Bush, LB Brian Cushing, and LB Rey Maualuga. I even met now Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll.
            I went seven years without seeing the Trojans lose in person as USC created a dynasty and I saw them win four Rose Bowls.
            When you go to a college, you are instantly a fan of that team and I am with ASU. I love going to ASU football and basketball games and holding up the “fear the fork” but I don’t know if ASU could ever be my #1 team. When I went to the game in November, I wore both ASU and USC gear but by the end of the first quarter, I was wearing just USC gear.
            I have been asked the question since I enrolled at ASU, “ well Julian, you are going to ASU, who are you going to root for?” My answer is and will always be USC…. But ASU will be my second favorite team and I will always root for them… except of course when they play the Trojans.

            Fight On and Fear The Fork.

           image was used from http://a.pac-12.com
            

No comments:

Post a Comment